Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chapter 8

By Meg Vaidy

The tube-voice announced Kaira’s arrival at Tottenham Court Road, warning her to mind the gap between the train and the platform. She smiled, remembering the time she had slipped into the gap, her thigh disappearing almost entirely. Henri had to pull her out, laughing so hard tears flowed from his eyes. She bruised like a peach and her leg had been purple for a week after. Walking up the escalator, her mind shifted through her many fond memories of him like notes in a rolodex. She couldn’t wait for Henri to check on her tomorrow. 

As she walked into Arlo’s cabin, she noticed he must have left in a hurry, his coffee was still warm on his table.  His assistant told her the team was next door, informing her curtly she was late, again. Guilt overcame her as she weaved past the crowd over to the next street. She would be just in time - if Arlo lost this pitch, he was going to be in far worse trouble than she was. Then she rolled her eyes, she knew it’s more likely she would be in trouble, she would get fired. A perfect end to a ridiculous day, she thought. 


She went over her talking points in her head and didn’t notice the freshly wiped and spotless glass door until she rushed straight into it. Startled and a little disorientated, she started to steady herself, and collect her things, when a firm hand gripped her arm and helped her up. 


“Watch where you’re going, hayete. Wouldn’t want you to hurt yourself.” 


She didn’t have to look at him; she would know that voice anywhere. She blushed beet red, embarrassed that Paul had seen her walk into a door. He only called her ‘hayete’, it made her feel special, like they shared something secret. He had never called Alexa anything but Lex. Paul smiled his strange half smile, relishing the effect he had on her. She wasn’t surprised he was here, but couldn’t help staring for a moment. She hadn’t seen him in years, yet he looked like it had been just a day. He had a penchant for wearing white shirts, left untucked but neatly pressed. What? he asked, the stubble on his chin glinting in the sunlight. Stop staring at me, or is there something on my face? He laughed and pulled her into a hug, the smell of him bringing back every memory.


Deep down, Kaira had always known she had wronged Lex by taking Paul away from her. As far as she knew, Lex never found out, she had believed Paul was utterly dedicated to her - the two of them worked hard to keep it that way. They grew closer the more controlling Lex became. They would meet to talk, first about Lex, then about the world, about the future. They liked different things and this brought them closer. Kaira loved culture and languages, Paul was trilingual and an ecelectic mixture of Arab and French. He yearned to know more about her life, her family, he didn’t have the same upbringing. He felt like he belonged to something more when he was with her, and her family always welcomed him. Once everything fell apart on graduation day, she left to find her calling and her undergraduate years flew by in a haze, Paul-less. Then she met Henri, and Paul left her mind completely. 


Paul’s grip on her shoulders brought her back to the present. “Hayete! You’re miles away! I almost feel left out.” He laughed nervously, and then his face grew serious. “Come, we need to get out of here. No questions asked, I'll tell you later. We could...”


“Paul, wait, what? What!” Kaira pushed him away. This was absurd, he couldn’t just write letters or show up, looking like he did, and expect her to go away with him. “What..What the hell are you talking about?”


He buried his face in his palms, rubbing his eyes. “Okay, look, I know you met Lex. I was there too. I was on the tube and I followed you to Pret. I couldn't come in obviously. I... I can explain but on the way! There’s a lot you don’t know.”


“Erm... okay. Right. So you’re stalking me. Great, just what I need.” Kaira started to walk into the building, ignoring Paul’s efforts to stop her. “Look, I have work. I’m not interested in whatever you think this is. Okay? I read your letter, Lex seems fine. I, on the other hand am about to lose my job! So why don’t we continue this later? I’ll erm...I’ll run away with you in a few hours. How’s that?”


“You don’t seem to think that I’m serious.” 


“Paul, what the hell is wrong with you? Of course I don’t! I don’t even know what you’re serious about! You said Lex was a problem. Didn’t seem that way as she sipped her latte and told me who she screwed last week! You need to relax! I can’t deal with you right now.”


“Kaira écoutez-moi! Listen to me! Lex knows.” Something in Paul’s tone made her turn. It was in his face too. A pained expression had taken over. He emphasised the next words he said and it made her blood run cold. “Alexa. Knows.”



*

“Oui?” Alexa put out her cigarette on a lamp post as she blew out the rest of the smoke. “She called me like you said, I’m seeing her tonight. At her place.” 


She starts to walk towards the tube station. “Yeah, I could see her across the street. Paul turned up, they’re having a heart-to-heart. Makes me wanna hurl.” 


Lex walks down the steps into the station laughing. “Oh come on Henri, you know I can handle myself. Baby, don’t worry, c’est pas une probleme!”

No comments:

Post a Comment